Your Mind Believes You: How your thoughts constantly shape your reality

Your thoughts don’t just pass through your mind… they build it.

Each belief, each story you repeat, shapes how you see, feel, and respond to the world.
Over time, those thoughts become habits—and those habits become your reality.
Because your mind doesn’t know the difference between what’s real… and what’s rehearsed.

Your mind believes you.



This is the opening to my new podcast based on true events that took place just a few days ago. Actually, it lasted for almost ten days, but ended a couple of days ago. It all started with me determined to be a writer and as determined as I was to succeed, nothing seemed to be working. With my pride not allowing me to beg or take handouts, I wasn't about to suggest that someone else support me with their money when they have needs of their own--even if they offered. And when you haven't had food for a week and a half, but you know hypnosis, the obvious solution was to make myself forget the hunger pangs. It was easy, but not smart.

What wasn't so easy was the mood altering that came along with having no fuel in my body. Having lost twelve pounds, it seemed I was losing patience and rational thinking as well. When my credit union called to establish a payment for my credit card, I lost it. I was so poor that I didn't even have a phone: they called on my iWatch, because the phone overheated and the battery expanded. Regardless, I'd had enough. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip, they say, and that goes double for a dried up and rotting vegetable. So I told the person on the phone that I didn't have the money. 

When he suggested a call the next day, I gritted my teeth. "No," I calmly told him, "I will not have it tomorrow or the next day as far as I can tell. Why don't you call after Halloween?"

"Oh, will you be able to make a payment then?" he asked.

I laughed, "No, I will not make a payment, but I also will not be answering the phone again."

He asked me what I had said, and I repeated it before tapping the hangup button on my iWatch.

Now, not unlike most gargantuan problems, this one started off about a month ago when I returned a car to Carvana for attempting to pull a "bait-and-switch." Unfortunately, I left my driver's license in the car I'd returned, and now I couldn't afford another license, much less the ride to the DMV. This little tidbit of information put a stop to my life. No phone and no ID meant I also couldn't get a job.

When a police officer knocked on my door, I was visibly upset and apologized for her coming out. I explained I had finally had enough of things going badly when I lost it. When she explained there was an alternative that would provide me with a ride and a voucher, the clouds parted and the sun shined through. Everything would be alright. And it was--for about half an hour.

When two people approached my door, I invited them in and we chatted. I explained the situation and that the officer had offered an out that was a huge relief. They said they needed to speak with their supervisor and they would be right back, so I agreed. Then, they returned to tell me that I needed to come with them to answer a few questions at the center before they'd bring me back, but I should leave my dog: I wouldn't be too long.

Ten days later, after they verified that I was of the right mindset, they paid for an Uber and drove me three and a half hours from Santa Rosa to Monterey, where I slept in my comfy bed--alone.

It's amazing how much we take for granted. That's right, because you do it too. But after you're surrounded with unstable people, with lights on, and people checking on you every fifteen minutes, your priorities change. And when I said "every fifteen minutes," I meant that whether I was showering, eating, or sleeping, I would hear my name being called and was anticipated answering. When it was nighttime, they didn't call out, but their flashlights awakened me every time. Needless to say, I didn't acquire much sleep and certainly felt less than sane after more than a week of this lack of rest. Furthermore, all of the people being treated are habitually fed throughout the day, three squares and three snacks, which can cause a horrific outcome. Exchanging habits creates chaos if not done properly.

A week went by before I had any sunlight, so it was suggested to me that I take D3 vitamins. They also began to propose helpful medications, which I kindly declined, satisfied with the vitamins. Tylenol for was taken for my aches that miss the chiropractor, and melatonin for an attempt at sleep. 

My hypnosis training has never been more appreciated, as the options were coloring, watching television, eating, sleeping, and several hours of therapy. Of course, listening to the screams of unstable people was never amiss. So I utilized my time meditating--a lot. And then I described the process so others could enjoy the sanctuary of mindfulness as well.

If nothing else, I have new writing material, as well as my new podcast channel, Your Mind Believes You, which will arrive in December. So look for it to find out more of how to manage your own life, hopefully in expotentially less eventful ways.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unthinkable